Why I don’t give a shit about the “what if they were going to find the cure for cancer?” argument in abortion discussions.
To people who survived cancer and people who survive losing someone to cancer, it is really fucking irritating to listen to this argument like if we wait for the right person to be BORN it will happen, rather than supporting actual current efforts by actual current scientists to find said cure.
Don’t you dare put the deaths of cancer patients on a person who did nothing save exercise their right to bodily autonomy.
People living with the disease or have lived through its effects are not waiting for the cancer Messiah to descend from heaven and save everybody. They’re waiting for people like you to actually give a shit about the things that will help cancer patients and their families now.
Lori Stodghill was 31-one years old, seven-months pregnant with twin boys and feeling sick when she arrived at St. Thomas More hospital in Cañon City on New Year’s Day 2006. She was vomiting and short of breath and she passed out as she was being wheeled into an examination room. Medical staff tried to resuscitate her but, as became clear only later, a main artery feeding her lungs was clogged and the clog led to a massive heart attack. Stodghill’s obstetrician, Dr. Pelham Staples, who also happened to be the obstetrician on call for emergencies that night, never answered a page. His patient died at the hospital less than an hour after she arrived and her twins died in her womb.
In the aftermath of the tragedy, Stodghill’s husband Jeremy, a prison guard, filed a wrongful-death lawsuit on behalf of himself and the couple’s then-two-year-old daughter Elizabeth. Staples should have made it to the hospital, his lawyers argued, or at least instructed the frantic emergency room staff to perform a caesarian-section. The procedure likely would not have saved the mother, a testifying expert said, but it may have saved the twins.
But when it came to mounting a defense in the Stodghill case, Catholic Health’s lawyers effectively turned the Church directives on their head. Catholic organizations have for decades fought to change federal and state laws that fail to protect “unborn persons,” and Catholic Health’s lawyers in this case had the chance to set precedent bolstering anti-abortion legal arguments. Instead, they are arguing state law protects doctors from liability concerning unborn fetuses on grounds that those fetuses are not persons with legal rights.
Say whaaaaaaat Catholic hospital?
scuse me of course people dying is not funny but
ok so i went to the cpc in harrisonburg today and HOLY SHIT what the fuck is up with these places
- they tried to dictate my sex life: “well, if you aren’t pregnant, you should talk to your boyfriend about maybe remaining abstinent until marriage?”
- when i said nah, that’s something we feel comfortable doing and what if we don’t get married, anyway?: “you really should stay abstinent if you don’t want to get pregnant. think about your career!”
- when i said, well there’s always birth control; i could talk to my gyno about that: “BIRTH CONTROL IS ONLY ABOUT 60-80% EFFECTIVE and doesn’t prevent stds”
- when i said, i’m in a committed relationship, i have no risk of stds b/c we’re faithful to each other: “you’re in a long-distance relationship; you don’t know what your boyfriend is doing right now” (actually, bitch, i knew for a fact that he was writing a paper that’s due tomorrow and he knew i’d dump his ass if i knew he was cheating and how fucking DARE you imply that my boyfriend was cheating on me)
- they tried to tell me how far along i was in my pregnancy BEFORE WE GOT THE RESULTS OF THE TEST BACK
- i gave them a range of two-three days of when my “last-possible start of period” day was and they chose the earliest day so i would be farther along in “my pregnancy”
- even though they were non-compliant with HIPPA, they still had signage saying that the use of phones in the building was prohibited (fuck that, i had my cell phone recording EVERYTHING)
- I GOT PAMPHLETS ABOUT ABSTINENCE. THREE OF THEM. there’s one pamphlet that they stressed for me to read to sam about not co-habiting before marriage and i was like haaaaaah fuck that b/c it’s cheaper to live together
- they offered me binkies for “my baby” and also had binkies/bottles out in the lobby
- they told me that they “really wish that i could choose abstinence” and that since i was “strong enough to come into the harrisonburg pregnancy center, that i was strong enough to hold off from sex so i wouldn’t have a pregnancy scare again”
- the little white lady that was my “counselor” was using EBONICS; she literally told me that if sam was pressuring me to have sex, that i could tell him, “man don’t be a hata” oh my god i wanted to punch her so bad
- they told me condoms barely helped to protect against hiv/aids and that they were only about 75% effective against pregnancy
- told me that i should really consider keeping the baby and not to adopt it out
- after we found out that i wasn’t pregnant (ok i knew b/c i haven’t had sex since august, but they didn’t know that; i told them it was october for the purposes of this visit), they told me that i should get another pregnancy test AT THE HOSPITAL like fuck that
- THEY HAD BIBLE VERSES EVERYWHERE
- god i want to upload the pictures i took because the forms they had me fill out were awful
- they had forms that implied that there was a proven link b/t suicide and abortion but the anti-abortion literature they had cited studies that were 20+ years old
- there was a lady who was about six months along who just found out she was pregnant and THEY TOOK ME IN BEFORE THEY TOOK HER IN EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS THERE BEFORE ME
- they took my god damn picture at reception i guess to fb stalk me (i gave them a fake name, fake e-mail, fake address, fake phone number)
god fuck everything about crisis pregnancy centers they’re the fucking worst
CPCs are quite possibly THE worst. They’re not medical centers in any possible way, though they try to get you to think they are and, as documented above, spread misinformation like mad.
Something that just crossed my mind
Oi, y’all in the “Pregnancy’s just a slight nine-month inconvenience!!!!!” crowd.
The Duchess of Cambridge, wife of the future King of England, was just HOSPITALISED for SEVERAL DAYS because she was SO VIOLENTLY SICK due to her pregnancy.
That’s right, her “slight inconvenience”, which is probably less than two months along.
So next time you want to yell about how women* are so selfish for wanting to decide for themselves whether to undergo said “inconvenience” or not? Fucking don’t.
*Not only women can get pregnant.
Abstinence is the best way to avoid abortion and STD’s.
I don’t get how people think this point is up for debate. God calls all of us to abstain from sex until we are in marriage, ready to produce more of His children. This is the best solution to abortion and STD’s. By not having sex you will not get pregnant and not contract any diseases.
Except many people who have abortions are married.
Yep. I am married and would have an abortion.
Waiting for the day when antis flip over to “WELL IF YOU’RE THAT FREAKED ABOUT HAVING KIDS THEN YOU SHOULDN’T BE GETTING MARRIED WILLY NILLY YOU SLUT”
From reading quite a few pro-choice blogs
I have come to the conclusion that pro-aborts are nothing more than monsters who will go out of their way to come up with any elaborate excuse possible to justify killing the unborn. It’s disgusting. I’m not even mad, I’m just really disgusted that these people live among us. Not to mention they treat pregnancy like some sort of punishment. Yes it is a consequence, but if anyone is punishing you, it’s yourself* since it is the consequence of the choice to have sex.
*Barring rape cases
People are so quick to advocate for the “choice” to have an abortion, but very few advocate abstinence, which prevents pregnancy in the first place. But if I’ve learned anything, it’s that pro-“choice”ers are nothing but selfish individuals who place their wants, needs, and pleasure above all else.
I have come to the conclusion that pro-aborts are nothing more than monsters who will go out of their way to come up with any elaborate excuse possible to justify killing the unborn.
It doesn’t have to be elaborate. Nobody should be forced to remain pregnant against their will. It’s as simple as that. If you think it’s okay to take away their right to consent to what happens to their body for any reason, you are violating their rights.
It’s disgusting. I’m not even mad, I’m just really disgusted that these people live among us.
I’m personally disgusted that there are people that live among me that think that forced pregnancy is okay.
Not to mention they treat pregnancy like some sort of punishment.
When they don’t want it, and everyone around them is telling them that they made their bed and to lie in it? It’s being treated by the people around them as a punishment for having sex.
Yes it is a consequence, but if anyone is punishing you, it’s yourself* since it is the consequence of the choice to have sex.
Consent to sex is not consent to carry a fetus for nine months. You can say “consequence” all you want, but you’re still wrong. Legally and logically, consent to one act is not necessarily consent to everything else that can potentially follow. If I get in a car wreck, I’m not going to be denied medical care because I knew it was a risk of riding in a car. Pregnancy is possible, but so is contracting an STD. When they happen, you have a right to decide how you are going to handle it. Including getting an abortion, if necessary.
People are so quick to advocate for the “choice” to have an abortion, but very few advocate abstinence, which prevents pregnancy in the first place.
Very few advocate abstinence because people have sex, and they have it for a variety of reasons. It’s not effective to teach as pregnancy and STD prevention. That’s why in places where abstinence is the only sex education taught in public schools, teenage pregnancy is at an all-time high.
But if I’ve learned anything, it’s that pro-“choice”ers are nothing but selfish individuals who place their wants, needs, and pleasure above all else.
You are allowed to be selfish about your own body. Because it’s YOUR BODY. And you know what? If pregnancy is going to destroy me financially, put me at risk for keeping a job, and take food out of my mouth and the mouths of my children? That’s a good reason to be selfish and have an abortion. If pregnancy happens and I’m not ready to be a parent? That’s a good reason to be selfish. If I just don’t want to go through pregnancy? I shouldn’t have to. And if I choose to have sex because I happen to enjoy sharing an intimate moment with someone I love, completely separate from any desire to produce offspring? That’s my business, and once again has to do with MY body.
Advocating the right to choose is about leaving it in the hands of the person in question to make the best decision for THEM, whether it’s ending a pregnancy or continuing it. It’s about making sure it’s their decision and not someone else’s.
Every anti who says “barring rape cases” deserves to be taken seriously even less than no-under-all-circumstances anti-choicers.
They’re saying “abortion is murder” but it’s ok to murder the baby if the baby was conceived through rape. Ergo, it’s ok to kill a child already born if the father rapes the mother? Is it ok to punish children for the crimes of their parents? No? Well then why is it ok before birth, since the unborn fetus is the same as a person under the anti-choice argument.
Either the fetus is or isn’t a person and terminations are or are not murder.
Either a woman and a fetus have the same standing or they do not.
“Abortion is only ok if” is a weak and dishonest argument disguised as compassion.
Bolding mine. It never ceases to amaze me how hard it is for many antis to understand the above.
So, abortion and teen pregnancy rates in the North American bible belt are consistently higher than the US average, right? I saw a news link on FB today summarizing a study according to which abortion rates in the Finnish “bible belt” in the northwestern parts of the country are actually lower than average. I’m aware I may be oversimplifying here, but what’s going on?
Let’s see. Finland has
- free healthcare (including - gasp, yes! - tax-paid abortions!)
- sex ed at school from 5th grade (age 11) onwards, no opt-outs for nobody, and definitely no abstinence crap
- technically unlimited abortion access up to 12 weeks (though you still need to state a reason for a permit to get one, which is bs, and stricter than in the other Nordic countries)
- up to 4 months paid maternity leave (the state pension fund will pay a benefit to either you or your employer depending on whether you are employed or not)
- option for up to three years “childcare leave” after that, and neither of these will cause you to lose your job
- extensive (though definitely not perfect) social security programs to keep poor, sick, unemployed etc. people on their feet, and a small monthly cash benefit paid for each child regardless of the parents’ level of income
- state-subsidised kindergartens
And despite all of this, Finland is neither broke nor a communist dictatorship! Makes one wonder.
Why do you guys hate babies so much?
I mean I’m all for choice , but it seems that most of the time you’re doing it because you want to escape responsibility.
Good reasons for an abortion:
- Underage (Anywhere under eighteen). I can understand this. You’re young and scared. Abortion is a okay here.
- An illness. This is super understandable. If that baby is going to kill you then you have full right to have an abortion.
- Money problems. Yep. When you’re low on cash and you know you can’t support this child. That’s a good reason for an abortion .But personally adoption would be a better choice. At least you know your child is in safe hands.Bad Reasons for an abortion:
- Responsibility: If you’re responsible enough to have sex, you’re responsible enough to use birth control or a condom. If you didn’t use either or then oops honey. Looks like you have a little bun in the oven.
- MY BODY, MY CHOICE!: Okay um no. I’m going to go a little Republican on you guys and say, sweetheart it’s a baby not a bra. Sperm is a living thing. When it goes inside of you, it’s growing a living thing. That living thing turns into a fetus. Which sweetie, is living. And yet you fucking scream about biology and shit. For once the Republicans are very, very right.
- CHILD ARE FUCKING WITH MY RIGHTS: Sweetie, sweetie, sweetie. Shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down. Sex makes babies.
- MY BODY IS NOT YOUR INCUBATOR: Actually…yes it is. Women have ovaries. Women have wombs. Women have baby making bits. When you fuck, you get sperm in you. Women are naturally…incubators! Not saying that men should use you just for making babies but…that’s kind of what those Fallopian tubes you have are for.
If a seventeen-year-old is responsible enough to have sex and is allowed to have an abortion because s/he’s “young and scared”, why does the same not apply for an eighteen-year-old?
How is one’s financial situation entirely divorced from this “responsibility” you preach?
Did you ever hear of the concept of birth control failing?
If a fetus is a “living thing” (that’s exactly what it is - I think you were aiming for “legal person with rights”, which a fetus is not), why is it okay to kill it for any of the above reasons? (And a tiny, simplified human biology lesson for ya, since you seem to need it: in fertilization, a sperm cell merges with an egg cell to form a zygote, which starts to divide into multiple cells. After the first division the organism is called an embryo until about eight weeks after fertilization, after which it’s called a fetus. So yeah, a “sperm” doesn’t just “grow a living thing”.)
Finally, WOMEN ARE NOT FUCKING INCUBATORS. Jesus Christ, I can’t even get into how fucked up that idea is.
So, let me just summarize the gist of your post: “I’m a judgmental idiot who gets all high and mighty about abortion being ‘killing babies’, except when it’s impossible for me to argue that the pregnant person is a dirty irresponsible slut, in which case they’re just young/scared/broke and abortion is a-okay.”
Your hypocrisy stinks.
What the fuck is wrong with you? It’s not a spontaneous abortion, idiot. It’s a miscarriage. That’s like saying slipping and falling off of a ladder is “spontaneous homicide”.
Miscarriage is often described as spontaneous abortion because guess what? A miscarriage is the body’s way of aborting the pregnancy. Both are termination. Miscarriage, spontaneous abortion? it’s all the same.
Yeah, in my Advanced Med. Term. class, the teacher had to explain this to people a thousand times. Doctors sometimes will even write down “abortion” or “spontaneous abortion” when a person has a miscarriage, because that’s what it’s medically called.
There’s nothing wrong with referring to things with proper terminology. No one is trying to say that the person WANTED miscarriage by calling it a spontaneous abortion.
Yeah, because on Tumblr, everybody is so concerned with using the correct medical terminology. Absolutely nobody is attempting to use biased language to indicate their own benign view of abortion. Nobody at all.
I don’t know where your sass and attitude is coming from, but there is no need to catch one because I’m pointing out facts.
I’m quite aware that people on Tumblr like to use biased language, thank you very much. It doesn’t mean I can’t point out to folks where they’re wrong on a subject. It also doesn’t mean that people should just continue to go around spreading misinformation on words, which is what your original post did, because, FYI, miscarriages ARE the body’s way of aborting a pregnancy. Like it or not, that is what it is, and if you’re going to talk about a subject, be informed.
Sorry if me and hitmeagaintubsock’s pointing that out to you caused so much distress.
Damn, that bordered on “HOW DARE YOU TELL ME I’M WRONG WHEN I’M WRONG!!!”
Also, nice deflationary tactic there by extremecapitalism, people were talking about misuse of a medical term, which is precisely what you were doing.
Again, I love how pro-lifers always have to misrepresent fetal development, misrepresent what an abortion looks like, and misrepresent medical terms to push their agenda.
I think that says a lot about their agenda.
You guys are ridiculous. You completely missed the point, argued with me about something I already know, and when I attempted to return to the point, you yell at me about “diverting the point”. Go fall on a knife. Either read my actual blog or refrain from making yourself look like an idiot.
“Go fall on a knife”
How very pro-life of you.
> claim a medical term’s meaning isn’t what it is
> yell at everyone who corrects you that they “missed the point”
yep yep, exactly so