Anonymous said: Okay, I'm just wondering (like I don't want to offend I'm just confused) why do you think superwholock is racist/homophobic/ect?
Because. All three shows are racist, homophobic and sexist.
- Racism: Almost completely white cast in London, which is so racially diverse it isn’t funny. The only WoC is portrayed negatively and absolutely fucking LOATHED by fans. She is also slut-shamed by Sherlock
- Homophobia: The queerbaiting between John/Sherlock is disgusting, but hey it’s Moffat. Not to mention that Irene Adler, who is a lesbian, is overly sexualized and falls in love with white male protag. I’m sure there’s more but that’s what’s off the top of my head
- Sexism: Molly, one of the few female characters is in love with Sherlock and literally everything to do with her has to do with Sherlock. Irene is oversexualized, Sally is slut-shamed. Mrs. Hudson is always treated horribly by male characters.
Don’t even get me started on how sexist the fandom is.
- Racism: Almost completely white cast from 2010 on. Danny Pink is one of the only racially diverse characters (Who is in more than one episode) that we’ve gotten since RTD’s era. While RTD’s era isn’t perfect, at least we got Martha, and Mickey. Then there’s the episode in S7 where a group of black guys steal the TARDIS and destroy it.
- Queerphobia: Moffat’s Who is more queerphobic than homophobic. Oswin’s bisexuality is a joke, River is supposedly bi but we never get any mention of it/see it (Note: It isn’t good representation if we don’t see it on-screen). Vastra/Jenny have an unhealthy relationship that plays into the dom-sub heterosexual relationship trope. Not to mention the fat one and the thin one. I’m sure I can come up with more.
- Sexism: The way Clara is treated by both 11 AND 12 is horrible sexist, the whole “Mothers are the best!” thing the way 11 sexually assaults Tasha/Jenny then laughs at their displeasure. Amy’s mystical pregnancy, “the legs”. There’s a lot.
- Racism: Like both of the other shows, almost completely white cast. Here’s the list of PoC: Missouri Moseley, Tamara and Isaac, Cassie, Rufus Turner, Uriel, Raphael, Gordon, Jake Talley, Victor Henricksen, Kevin Tran and Mrs. Tran. Out of 9 seasons. Only 12 characters are PoC. In America. In 2014. Next, these characters are all either evil, written off after one episode, or die. Four of these are villains. Raphael, the biggest one, is given absolutely no depth whatsoever. Even Michael, who is seen less has more depth than Raphael. He’s like a fucking robot. Then there’s Cassie, who is, canonically, the only person Dean has ever loved. Except she’s replaced by Lisa. A white woman. Who isn’t the only woman he’s ever loved. And Cassie is forgotten and never mentioned again. Hmm.. Then there’s the fact that SPN thinks that racial diversity is only blacks until Kevin and Mrs. Tran show up, but for the most part the only PoC who weren’t background/side characters were black. No hispanics. No asians. No one else. Oh, and there’s the fact that Kevin was originally an asian stereotype, as was Mrs. Tran. (Although thank goodness they got better)
- Queerphobia: Very few queer characters. Only one recurring, Charlie. Then there’s Corbett, the gay ghostfacer who sacrifices himself but turns into a joke. "Ed, you’ve got to go be gay for that poor dead intern. You got to send him into the light." "Yeah. Heh heh. And here we were thinking that, you know, we were teaching you and all this time you were teaching us; about heart, about dedication, and about how gay love can pierce through the veil of death and save the day. Thank you, Alan J. Corbett.” Sorry but no. He’s treated as a joke, and his relationship isn’t taken seriously. To quote someone else, 'What this kind of treatment basically says is, “See, he’s gay, but Ed doesn’t really care about him. It’s all just supposed to be funny so it’s okay that he’s there.”” Then there’s Demian and Barnes, who’s sexuality is used more for a “See! Their gay!! Isn’t that funny??” thing, and their reveal seems to be more for laughs, fanservice and to make Dean uncomfortable. Then of course there’s the various gay jokes made at Dean/Sam’s expense throughout the show. Oh and the wonderful queerbaiting between Dean/Cas.
- Sexism: One, almost every single woman is killed, written off, portrayed as evil, or all three. Oh, and they’re all horribly sexualized. Here’s a nice chart from Gender Bias in Supernatural: The cold hard stats. Which gives you an inkling to just how problematic SPN is. And while women do tend to survive more, they are almost always rescued by…. Cis white hetero male protag. Because women can’t save themselves. Eh? Eh? No? Anyways… To quote ladygeekgirl (Who is where I’m getting all these facts, I’ll source her down below) ”
Lilith, Ruby, Meg, Eve, Bela, and Anna are all evil or end up being evil before they were killed off. The newest female angel in this season of Supernatural is also being portrayed as evil. Even though we know very little about her right now, she’s basically mind-raping Cas, so that equals evil in my book.
Compare this to the good female characters: Jo, Ellen, Mary, Pamela, Becky and now Mrs. Tran. There have been other good female characters like Charlie, Madison, Cassie, Sarah, and Jess, but I don’t include them because they have been in only one episode each. In fact, I bet only devoted fans of Supernatural remember some of these women.
Even the women who are labeled “good” are problematic. Becky is the worst. She represents the worst of fandom as an insane fangirl, and though that could be “acceptable”, in season seven she mind-rapes Sam by drugging him and then tying him up when the potion she uses to control him wears off. Mary is largely portrayed as a mother figure and fills this role as a perfect unattainable woman, though her character later develops throughout the series into a more in-depth role. Jess, however, never develops—she is shown only as Sam’s perfect girlfriend. Cassie, Madison, and Sarah are all interesting characters but only last in the show for one episode before being killed or written off.” Yeah, SPN is problematic.
So overall, this is why I hate SuperWhoLock. All three shows are horribly problematic, but the fanbase defends/excuses it and perpetuates it. These girls glorify these horrible shows, calling it “progressive” and “positive”.
Don’t even get me started on the fans. The fetishization of gay characters/couples, the annoying superiority and victim complexes, the inability to take slight criticism of their shows…. It’s annoying.
Anyways, sorry this took so long. And thank you to Lady Geek Girl over on Wordpress for giving me some info on SPN!
you know i’ve just always thought that one of the really magical things about going to a protest is that all of these people can come together and face this one issue, no matter what their background is and their political beliefs. when i’m at a protest, i obviously know that i couldn’t possibly agree with every single thing that every fucken person at the protest believes. that’s just how it is, it’s a pretty basic thing to accept
if i saw a sign i didn’t 100% agree with (like sometimes signs will have slurs and stuff like that) or even a person i didn’t like, which has happened before, i wouldn’t go out of my way to start shit with this person for several reasons…
- it would achieve nothing. if i had to sort through every single person i didn’t like or agree with at a protest, i would be wasting all of my time and energy and not actually have time to do what i’m there to do - to protest
- it’s pretty pathetic. if you think about it, it’s a pretty sad and petty thing to be doing. you’re all here at this protest because you’re uniting against this issue, you’re trying to stand up against bigots. instead, you’ve decided to pick on this person who, for the most part, is on your side if they’re at the same fucking protest as you
- most importantly, you’re putting people in danger. protests are highly energetic situations that are prone to violence and extreme acts. harassing someone increases their risk of danger. it’s not that hard to understand
you honestly have to be a very sad, pathetic person to harass someone at a protest. do you not get fulfilment anywhere else in your life? are you really that empty?
Apparently some vegans are telling people not to eat honey to support bees.
STOP. STOP NOW.
DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW BEES WORK?
Buy honey (local if possible) -> support beekeepers -> support bees.
I swear people don’t even think this stuff out.
Beekeepers provide bees with an environment in which they can live, and are encouraged to thrive. Bees then have a big huge giant person who can deal with any threats to the hive.
Yes, honey is a winter food supply for bees, but beekeepers (unless they’re dicks, in which case they’d be shooting themselves in the foot) will NEVER take too much honey from a hive, and will always ensure that bees have enough food. Think about it, you’re not going to starve a source of income/hobby, are you?
I think a few ppl took Bee Movie too seriously.
Can a knowledgable vegan tackle this post please? I can’t imagine this is logical.
Yes, I can and I have several issues with that.
Wild bees exist. Many different races, on top of that. Bees do not fucking need human support to live.
The whole "without us bees will die" argument is wrong, because bees literally die because of us spraying pesticides on plants while bees are out pollinating
and because humans feed them substitutes instead of letting them
nurture their young with honey. (that’s 2 links)
There is more than enough cruelty involved in honey.
Watch the more than honey documentary and shut the goddamn hell up forever.
this needs to be reblogged thousands of times with that takedown because I’m god damn tired of seeing thousands of notes on these misguided anti vegan posts when what matters here are the bees, not how humans are their saviors
I can’t let this go, because whenever a vegan pulls this shit it always baffles me. I live on an apiary, for Christ’s sakes, so it’s always fascinating to see some jackoff on the internet telling me how beekeepers operate.
Wild bees exist, but their population is not this massively impressive, sustained population. You can thank logging and development for that.
While it is true that bees die because of us, and honestly, NO ONE IS ARGUING AGAINST THAT. THE ENTIRE SAVE THE BEES DEBATE IS ABOUT THE FACT THAT BEES ARE BEING KILLED BY PESTICIDES. It blows my goddamn mind that vegans wanna hop on that bandwagon and act like people don’t get it. Everyone gets it. Even Monsanto gets it, Monsanto just doesn’t give a flying fuck.
The ONLY time that beekeepers have to give a honey-substitute to bees is when a winter is particularly harsh and the bees deplete their resources. NO beekeeper “steals” all of the honey and leaves them with sugar water. We’re not evil villains twirling mustaches while laughing for fucks sakes.
Because at the end of the day, it’s a business. And vegans, apparently, believe that the world is not driven by capitalism, and that we can magically wish away capitalism with a flick of the goddamn wrist.
What happens if we do away with beekeepers and just ‘let nature’ decide?
Well, for starters, this leaves all bee populations to the whim of every other industry. No place for the bees to move in? Well, they’ll try to move onto people’s properties and build wild hives. And then get exterminated. Because people feel threatened by bee hives.
But the biggest, most damning thing, the thing that makes it so utterly irrational that vegans would be blogging AGAINST beekeeping, is that your entire goddamn diet REVOLVES around beekeepers.
Every single crop that requires insect pollination? Farms have beekeepers bring their bees to do that. Guess what happens without beekeepers? Can’t mass-pollinate as easily. Those wild bee populations don’t settle in close to humans because they’ll be taken down by exterminators, and butterflies and bumblebees don’t even come CLOSE to the pollinating power of honeybees.
When bees get an excess of honey? They get aggressive. It’s so they can defend their honey, of course. If you don’t harvest some, they just keep growing and getting more honey, because there aren’t days off for them. So then you get massive, unwieldy bee hives that are giant beacons for wildlife to pulverize.
What you SHOULD be campaigning against, vegans, is Monsanto. Because if the beekeepers vanish, do you know what remains? Monsanto. And the bees still get to enjoy breathing in all of those fantastically lethal chemicals, only now without there being a viable commercial reason to give a shit about them. On top of that, the bees lose out on protection and, indeed, on concerned businesses convincing politicians to stop Monsanto.
It is goddamn frustrating to me. Our bees produced 700 pounds of excess honey this year. 700 pounds. Their reserves are filled to burst because we don’t like to have to feed them a substitute. Hell, we’ve only had to give them substitute once, for two weeks.
I hate it when people talk clean out their ass. The person who posted all of those sources, which, FYI, the non-vegan sources? Explain what honey does. They do NOT even talk about honey substitute, they just talk about what honey does for bees. Scare tactic bullshit. The person who posted all of that deleted their blog. Jesus, they must have really believed their bullshit confidently!
Don’t just lap up vegan propaganda. There are PLENTY of viable reasons to be vegan, and hey, I’m not saying you -should- eat honey if you’re vegan. But don’t you DARE try to tout this bullshit as “fact”. The only things hurt by this, are the bees. Hate it all that we want, at this point, the bees DO need us, because if we didn’t need them, you know for a fact we’d wipe them out. We’re a disgusting race hellbent on slaughtering whatever doesn’t suit us. If we didn’t use bees for agriculture and honey? Holy shit, they’re annoying stinging motherfuckers, we’d probably have tons of pesticides designed specifically to kill them.
Sorry that I ranted about that, just, fuck man. I can’t stand vegan propaganda aimed at honeybees. It invariably signs a death sentence for honeybees every single time.
beez are the bombz
people who go on about ~hormones~ making one sex ~over emotional~, “brain sex,” and pop evo psych bullshit in general to justify their misogyny need to be held as accountable as people who believe in “scientific” racism
me as hell
you were named after the bravest man I ever knew, xkit guy potter-
A seahorse admiring his own reflection from a divers watch.
or maybe he’s checking the fucking time. seahorses got places to go too y’know
The seahorse is one of the slowest fish in the ocean, the smallest able to move themselves at about 6 feet per hour. So if that seahorse has someplace to be I hope they’ve left a lot of time to get there.
"There is no way I am going to be able to pick the kids up from soccer practice now…"
I am Loki of Asgard.
Is there a problem?
Is there a problem?